Appliance and Electrical Fire Safety

Over half of all home electrical fires involve lighting equipment or home electrical wiring.

  • Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
  • Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Have an electrician install additional wall outlets where you need them.
  • Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
  • Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
  • Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
  • Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
  • Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.